I want to delete all BFD content and then reload it so maybe it will all work

Same here :slight_smile: I try not to upgrade until I really have too, hence BFD going Win 10 only was the reason I ended up going to Win 10, I was hanging on to Win 7 as long as I could :slight_smile:

What might put your mind at rest is that I’m still using the same PC. Had it for around a decade, and Win 10 runs just as smoothly as 7 did, if not smoother. Im still using an i5 2500k, on an Asus P8Z68-V. Admittedly, I overclocked the shit out of it, but its very out of date now, by PC standards.

Win 11, which I wont be upgrading to on my main machine until I really have to, seems to be more of the same along the lines of Win7 and Win10. Win 11 even works on my Raspberry Pi 4, with Reaper DAW and BFD running just perfectly so far (anything processor heavy, effects etc, it doesnt like but I only have it as an experimental TINY BFD machine). I ended up installing Win 10 on the RPi instead tho, just in case Win 11 has showstopping bugs that still need working out, prior to release.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is, Win 10 may not need a new PC at all. If you’re running Win 7 just fine, chances are Win 10 will run fine too.

I tried to upgrade to Win 10 more than 20 times, starting with the day the free upgrade became available. Every time it looks like it will work then says it has to uninstall 10 and revert back to 7.

I believe my motherboard is the issue. It is from 2008. I’ve switched to SSDs. That was a big help and actually had a bad video card. They say when a video card goes, it goes. Not mine. It was periodically crashing me for 18 months.

I will just take the plunge and totally upgrade myself. I started with Cakewalk on floppy disks and stayed with them. I am sure other programs do things better, but I find Cakewalk offers the goods. Also, my songwriting partner uses Cakewalk and if he had to change programs it would take another 2 years out of my life to teach him how to use it.

I need to decide which audio interface I will buy. That will start the ball rolling.

2 Likes

Wow!!
Cakewalk on floppy disks? I didn’t even know that was a thing.
I started on Pro Audio 9 but have the free bandlab version now.

Steve

1 Like

This makes me think I must have started from apps on floppy drives too. I remember using Sonic Foundry Acid (I started just before Acid came out, using Multiquence) which was pre having a cd burner, so I must have had Acid on a floppy drive… maybe? :slight_smile:

I certainly remember the days of downloading games as a ton of zip files, all 1.4mb each for floppy storage :slight_smile:

BFD Horsepower is so good, it’s almost reason enough to upgrade your setup to be able to use it imo. But no rush… it’s in your account, so you’ll be able to use it in the future when you’re ready.

2 Likes

Yes, floppy disks. In fact, I didn’t even buy the program. I rented it. Eventually this game and rental company was sued out of business. If I remember correctly I was running Windows 3.1. At the time it was a very hip operating system.

I then bought the next version of Cakewalk which might have been on CD and have owned every new version. I bought the last paid version and 6 months later it became free. Many people left and quite a few of them came back. So, I stayed.

1 Like

Do not tell me that. I already am missing out on Melodyne 5. It also requires Win 10.

While I have you all, thank you for your help!

3 Likes

Yeah, Melodyne 5 was a game changer. Almost negates the need for de-essers.