I bought this software, I didn't RENT it!

But did you log in from inmusic’s site? Or did you launch the license manager straight after logging out?

I will try that again but yeah the other day I went as far as searching the C: and deleting anything that had BFD3 in the file name. When I re-installed (version 3.0.3.1 of the LM) it still showed up with my login information. Not sure where that’s kept but I deleted everything I could find with BFD3 in the name but for some reason my login info is still there.
I don’t really know much about dealing with registry info but I’m assuming there’s something somewhere holding onto my login info. Does that seem like something that could be an issue?

Hi ggmanestraki. I just tried that process again and still not able to log in. I also tried using a different browser (chrome and ms edge).

Something else is at play here then, sorry. Regarding the login info, BFD’s LM remember’s mine too, I wouldn’t be so worried about that.

Probably a borked installation. I recall this could happen if the LM was updated when an instance was already running (it didn’t shut itself down automatically when the LM installer was run. We must manually shut down the LM before running the setup.)

So I’d try operandx’s advice and see where it goes.

1 Like

Just deleted the BFD folder again and reinstalled the license manager. No luck. Gotta say this is extremely frustrating. I haven’t been able to use BFD3 in over 3 weeks and have probably spent over 12 hours trying to troubleshoot it uninstalling/reinstalling/reading every thread I can find instead of spending that time creatively. I spent over $200 for BFD3 and a couple of expansions to work for 1 month.

ggmanestraki - What is the solution if an installation gets “borked”? I don’t get how uninstalling/re-installing doesn’t fix the problem.

I understand your frustration, we all went through this and it sucks.

Neither do I, but it doesn’t work as it should for you, does it?

You said you manually deleted files. Did you delete those also?

2 Likes

Thanks gg, I haven’t tried going about it this way. I’ll give this a shot as soon as I get a second.

Unfortunately this also did not work.

ALRIGHT… I GOT IT FINALLY
After going through the list ggmanestraki posted 2 times and re-installed the License Manager again (still wasn’t working) I only deleted the inMusicBrands folder - - - > C:\Users\ USERNAME \AppData\Local\inMusicBrands\SoftwareUnlock

Once that folder was removed I tried opening the LM again and it finally got past the error message and asked me to login online.
Thanks for the help everybody that made suggestions and pushed me in the right directiong (specifically gg!).

6 Likes

Hallelujah!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Steve

2 Likes

Awesome stuff! Back to drumming! :smiley:

1 Like

This should be pinned and spread. People need to know where these informations are stored.
Also it demonstrates the importance of following bugfix protocoll. If something doesn’t work properly- try it on a blank new user. This always shows if bugs are to locate in the installation or in the user account.
And yes, BFD first level support should have this on their list.

On Mac it usually is
home/Library/Preferences
or
home/Library/Application Support
(and there search for BFD- up to now there are no relevant inmusic files)

And again:
If you’re not into these things- make at least a new user account and try installing it there!
There are so many reasons user files can get messed up, and a software developer can’t always figure this out because it’s not necessarily in their hands.

6 Likes

Here is a suggestion to inMusic regarding my last post:
I just had a case with Elgatos Epoccam, a mobile app for 8$ that makes a mobile phone a webcam.
After a long time working well they forced the customer today to make a driver update on the used desktop computers (due to an app update).

After this my cam screen was black, so I wrote to the support and got back within one hour, addressing my case and suggesting to download a tool that, if I accept it, analyses every process the app and the driver initiates on my system in order to find out what my problem is.
It hasn’t been solved yet but the communication left me with the (completely unexpected) impression that they not only take care immediately but also have the tools and staff to do so.

4 Likes

I don’t have the time to fiddle with InMusic’s BFD3 ….or for that matter to even follow this thread. I was able to go back to the FXpansion 3.3. Hopefully some day I will be able to “re-migrate”.

1 Like

Back on topic.
Today I have just exerted a solution for the timed re-authorization issue on a DAW. BFDrums could learn from that case.
Upon complaints from several users who work offline. The firm posted a forum thread offering interested users to just send them an email or a private message requesting a serial exchange.
They provide serials stating by “P2” which work without the need to re-authorize themselves and also, serials starting with “P3”, that ask for automated online re-authorization when certain time lapse and functioning conditions (stand by state, others) are met.

This way, the company manages to have a closer look to those licenses which work offline by having a separate list, while having a general controlling stance on global licenses out there.

1 Like

Appreciate the post, but not understanding the logic with a company needing a “closer look” at a product after it is sold. Something like iLok would make more sense.

Apologies in advance if I misread this.

1 Like

SoundMILL, learnt from observation that companies like these tend to have several selling outlets, discounts, combined packaging (and here company migration) and thus, their serials’ distribution get somehow too complex to have accurate track of. Which together with the existence of piracy, double and triple unfair use in shared bands, sessions, studios, etc. bring the need for developers to have means to trace the installations.
I am sure the disparity between their records and the actual updates downloads has been an indication of the need for that closer look.
iLok and more precisely PACE tracing software seem like good answers (after decades of problems) now that computers can easily handle their inherent background active state. I understand those charge a timely fee to companies implementing them, so having instead this temporal reactivation automatic request seems like a logical alternative for developers…

However as we have seem expressed in our forums, this does not bode well will several users like those working off line, on the go, at remote non connected locations… plus such schemes almost never include a reauthorize termination provision in cases where the firm ceases to exist or if is sold to a third party, which then might impose rental or other abusive business models on the existing customer base, or it could become abandomware and with this mechanism rendering it unusable.
We also know there also could be other looming problems like future forced updates/upgrades and incompatibility issues with created content, without even touching OS generated situations.

1 Like

That worked for me as well.

1 Like

Hola, este es mi primer post en este foro. Lo primero es saber si me podéis leer si escribo en español y si funciona el traductor. Si no, lo intentare en inglés, pero mi ingles no es muy bueno y además está oxidado.
Lo importante. Después de muchos años usando BFD1 y luego BFD2, he comprado BFD3. La verdad es que ha sido un duro golpe ver que poco funciona bien. En la página de compra creí entender que podría usar mis kits de BFD2 y en ningún momento pensé que era comprándolo de nuevo.

Comprendo el enfado de Scardanelli, pero también entiendo que hay una buena intención de arreglar las cosas. Eso sí, muy complicado. Simplemente, lo que hay que hacer para poder contactar con Drew (nuestra única esperanza por el momento) es surrealista. Nada, a ello. Si algún día no muy lejano puedo usar los kits de BFD2 en BFD3, me daré por satisfecho.