Awful support from InMusic

I might consider your approach, but I kinda like having all that stuff in the user/Docs/BFD3 directory. That way, if I clone my OS to another Mac where I’m using a different samples drive, that stuff will be copied.

I had issues with the LM incorrectly showing that my expansions weren’t up-to-date, even though they were. Some bug. So I re-downloaded/installed everything again. I’ve since figured out how to edit the .plist file that contains that info, so I shouldn’t need to re-install in the future.

I’m a little unclear under which circumstances editing a plist is helpful. I’ve edited them, and then found they reverted to a different value. My conclusion was that the plist was being generated by BFD from config data that was held elsewhere. But, I could be wrong. Or it might depend on the data.

It’s the bfdlicensemanager.plist that lists the products you have installed. When I opened the file, it only showed one expansion that I recently purchased. It was the only one the LM showed as, up-to-date. So, I just duplicated that key+string and changed the serial prefix for each of my products. After a restart, the LM showed all of my products as being up-to-date and it’s stuck ever since.

1 Like

Yeah, there are a few different plists. I haven’t looked at that one.

Hello Kafka,

It was all going so well, aided by your excellent and much appreciated advice.

All I had to do was to sort out the BFD2 paths.

Then the external drive failed. It’s a Lacie Rugged and not two months old. It also contained all the East West stuff that took a week to download.

So it’s back to the drawing board.

Why is it recommended to put the BFD data on an external drive? Having had the chance to compare load times, they are three or four times quicker on an internal drive than an external. I’ve always installed onto an internal drive and had no problems in the past - until now ha, but that’s just bad luck (had a lot of that lately).

Anyway, gotta sort out the drive but am considering installing BFD onto the internal drive as I now have no working version of BFD, a situation I desperately wanted to avoid.

It doesn’t literally need to be. It’s mostly about performance. If your sample software is going to read constantly, it’ll do better if that drive can do all it’s seeking and data transfer without being occupied with other tasks. There’s also been a wear and tear question. A lot of this advice was probably more relevant in the days of spinning drives than it is with SSD’s.

I’d be surprised if your internal SSD is really 3-4x faster than the external. I recently found I was using the wrong cable on my USB C drive, and so I was choking my speed down. Make sure that it’s really a USB 3.1 (or is it 3.2?, I forget) cable - whatever the right one is. There are some that are mislabeled by the manufacturer. Now, it didn’t really hurt BFD performance. BFD will run just fine on a USB 2.0 5400 rpm spinning drive if it doesn’t have anything else to do. It’s just not that much data. But, backups were longer than they had to be, given that I’m now on SSD.

An internal drive is recommended over external, so long as it’s not the same drive that your OS is installed to. Otherwise, you’ll create bottlenecks with your computer trying to pull information from the OS and sample libraries.

My OS is installed on a PCIe SATA3 drive and I have another PCIe NVMe drive for my sample libraries.

Hello Kafka,

I’ve reinstalled it on my internal and it works.

One or two little glitches. Every time I open BFD3 I’m getting a ‘Confirm’ message about data paths not being found. I think it’s looking for the drive that failed but I can’t see how to stop it looking for it.

The message comes up twice and then opens the Contents Locations page. If I close it it takes me back to the main window and everything is there.

I’ve included screenshots showing what happens (I made video but it wouldn’t let me upload it. Shame because it showed how quick the presets loaded).

Is there a way to stop the message?

Also, I don’t see how to download BFD2 from the InMusic site (I’m assuming BFD1 was included in that?). I managed to find one hidden on my drive but have no idea if it’s the right one.

Certain presets are not available;

BFD1 Ludwig B
BFD1 Pearl B
BFD1 Slingerland
BFD1 Lucite

and some are incomplete;

That’s Tight
Sweepin Brushes
Funky Like Clyde
Camco Aristocrat 62
Camco Aristocrat 62 (Brushes).

There are duplicates but they are slightly different in that one has Ambient Mics>Room set to ‘OH’ and the other to ‘Room’. I clicked 'Hide (remove from the browser) and although it worked, when re-opening the duplicated were still there.

Anyway, it is working and I think I have access to most of what I used before. I mean it’s not perfect but I can put up with it unless you can suggest how to make it less glitchy with the message, the missing presets and the duplicates.

Cheers,

Paul

You should delete any of those paths that you’re not using. Just go to Content Locations and click it so they turn blue, and press the Remove button.

BFD2 is now called London. It’s been that way for a few years. Similarly, BFD1 is now called Eldorado. Those need to be reinstalled. The old ones won’t work because the license strings have changed.

If you don’t see London or Eldorado licenses in your account, PM your old FXpansion license numbers to @BFD_Drew, or email them to support@bfddrums.com, along with your inMusic userid. They’ll give you new licenses, and you’ll see the downloads for those in your LM.

Wow, I never knew they’d renamed BFD1&2 ‘London’ and ‘Eldorado’. How did I miss that? Fortunately I have both of them in my account and installed.

I now have a working version of BFD without messages and missing content for the first time in a couple of years. There’s one or two missing presets and incomplete kits but I can live with it. It’s refreshing to feel it’s reliable again.

I am extremely grateful to you for your patience and expertise in righting the problems which at one time felt unsolvable.

My expertise lies in music production mastering and songwriting. If there is anything I can do to replay you for your help do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks,

Paul

1 Like