XFL cymbal volume disparity

Has anyone noticed that the XFL Paiste Crash1b 602 is way too quite to the point of being almost inaudible?
It also sounds a lot more like a ride than a crash.

It’s not just the Paiste Crash1b 602 but the Bosphorus Ride1b 19, Paiste Ride1b 20 proto and 20k proto are all really quiet.

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve.

I have (had) a few oddities with the cymbals. I’ve not gone through them all in a full song manner. But I noticed when I was re doing all my drum kits to BFD3 from the initial migration, naming each one as per the song I was on at the time. Replacing some of the cymbals from the old bfd2 to the London sessions pack, some of the cymbals where a little lower in volume.

Not sure what the problem was (if any) - as I wasn’t particularly looking for one. I just re balanced it in the mixer with the kit.

I noticed by your cymbal naming (correctly so) that these are (and were) the ones with issue at the time.

If that helps (so you may not be alone with this issue).

Neil.

Compared to what? Those are brushes. They’re quieter than the stick versions. That’s just how they recorded them.

Yes I know they’re brushes but they still seem far too quiet, would be nice if they could have recorded them a bit louder, even if it’s less natural it makes them much easier to mix.

@Murt
I remember, did you check to see if yours were brushes too?

@kafka is right but I’d much prefer them louder for easier mixing.

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve.

At the time (no) I was more concerned with trying to get the kits up and working.

All my kits were finalised (built as I like per song - in cubase) with fxpansion bfd2. They all worked/loaded on fxpansion bfd3. After migration to bfd3 (bfd drums) kit pieces were missing.

After sorting out the London sessions expansion in place of the old fxpansion bfd2 stuff I replaced the old missing fxpansion kit pieces. These kit pieces seemed to be from the XFL expansion apart from one kit piece from the percussion expansion.

I made note of the missing kit pieces from the fxpansion bfd2 kit folder, and saved all the new kits to BFD3. The one major thing noted was that all the missing pieces that were replaced were lower in volume than the original kit pieces as they were with the old fxpansion bfd2/bfd3 stuff.

Some were crashes some rides. But with only trying to re build what I had I can only say that some would have been with sticks and some would have been with brushes.

I was just glad to get it all re built and working. But there was definitely a discrepancy in volume from the old (missing) fxpansion to the latest BFD3 replaced kit pieces (brushes and sticks).

Neil.

1 Like

One of my Sabian cymbals, that I like a lot, is usually - this is a weird area because it’s been inconsistent (might be one of these peculiarities of using it in VE Pro, but there are times I come back and it’s far too loud now, with ‘Drive’ and compression and help) - extremely lower volume than it should be. It’s not a brushes type (you can’t really expect brushes to be as loud).

Less extreme than either of these cases, I too have found a lot of the BFD 2 era pieces need some… coaxing in BFD 3.

1 Like