Sonic Reality expansions won't authorize

The one thing keeping me from going to the current version of BFD 3 is the Sonic Reality Neil Peart and Nick Mason expansions won’t authorize. From what I understand I need new license codes and I’ve heard nothing from Drew about the PM I sent him. Anyone else need to use these libraries? Do you have them working and if so what did you do to get them working.

1 Like

@BFD_Drew @BFD_SKoT

Can we get help with these? Peart and Mason are kits I’d love to use too :slight_smile:

EDIT: Found the kits for purchase. The moment this gets fixed, I’ll start buying em :slight_smile:
EDIT2: I just emailed Sonic Reality to see if they can push this along too.
EDIT3: Just got an email from Sonic Reality, they’re in touch with InMusic. Should be resolved soon enough.

1 Like

Just to let you know I got sorted with help from Drew. Needed new installers.

1 Like

I have this expansion as well and could do with the installer please @BFD_Drew

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @BFD_Drew I also need some new installers please. None of the Sonic Reality packs (Epik Drums) are installing.

Chocolate Audio Vintage is also doing the same thing, not recognising the old serial number.

I’m having the same problem as lordcurlingwand: purchased three SonicReality expansions (Woody Woodmansey, plus Ken Scott’s 60’s and 70’s kits) from eSoundz, and not only do the installers not work on my Mac (running High Sierra), but the serial numbers of these expansions also fail validation in BFD3 License Manager.
I have no idea what I can do next to solve this matter. Thanks for any help!

I should add the Sonic Reality installer problem is a seperate issue, and retrying it seems to randomly get it working, which isn’t a BFD issue. But once installed, BFD don’t like the serials

What I think may be happening is that some of those older libraries from Sonic Reality is they may be built with bits & bobs of code that was working in pre-InMusic purchase of BFD and therefore before the current version of BFD. Over all I think these problems should have bee found in beta test (if it was ever done) for BFD 3.4.x

Try dropping a PM to Drew if you can and see what happens. I know he’s not the quickest to respond to things here in the forum.

Thanks, musicman and lordcurlingwand.

I’m completely new to all this, you know. (I am long-time SD3 user, but never having been entirely pleased with the Toontrack-sound, I decided last week to start with BFD3. Purchased it two days ago, quickly added the Jazz Maple expansion, and my first impressions are very positive.)

Anyway, I mention all this because, being completely new to the world of BFD3, I don’t know who to turn to when there are problems such as the one with the old SonicReality expansions. FXpansion is no longer an option because there you get redirected to Rollo — which, as a company, no longer exists, or does it? —, SonicReality is no option either because they send you to eSoundz, and eSoundz itself is also no option to inquire about technical issues because they only handle the product …

So, here I am.

I’ll try to get in touch with Drew and hope something good will come of it.

(Been running that fxpansion installer a few more times since my earlier post, but every time without any success.)

Thanks again!

_

Do NOT delete your SD3 installation or you’ll be sorry. If I had it I’d stay with it and drop BFD3. There’s been too many of these kinds of issues with the program ever since fxpansion sold it off all those years ago. The last straw was Roli selling it to InMusic. IM is where good software goes to die. Ask over in the DUC (the Pro Tools forum put up by Avid) about InMusic and you’ll get an earful.

I have absolutely no intention to delete SD3 (and its many expansions) from my HD. It’s as good as its gets, virtual-drums-wise, except that, to my ears, there’s often something about the Toontrack sound (or, more specifically, the presence of the sound in a mix) that bothers me a little bit. I can’t get SD3 to pop out of the speakers quite the way I would like. Well, I can, but then it tends to sound too produced or processed, and I don’t want that. My first experiments with BFD3, on the other hand, quickly gave me a snappy, crisp drumsound that jumped out of the speakers while still sounding reasonably natural. And being as inexperienced as I am with BFD3, things can only get better.

But I get what you’re saying about InMusic. I won’t deny that, when I first had a look around the site, I was immediately reminded of the MusicTribe website where I was forced to spend some depressing time after buying some TC Electronic software and not being sent a license. Not a fond memory.

Earlier today I tried to start a support ticket regarding the SonicReality issue via InMusic support. Did everything I was supposed to, filled in all the required fields, only to find out that the Submit-button doesn’t work. You click it and nothing happens. Terribly annoying, such things.

_

1 Like

Try another browser. Don’t know what browser you’re using but if it’s Firefox there are some sites that have an issue with it and I end up using Safari (I’m on a Mac).

thanks, yes now that forum lets me PM, i’ve done so. Can appreciate that Drew might get a lot of pings, so just grateful he’s on here when he is and his responses to others indicate he’s on it when he can get to it.

good points,
I have found BFD really good to use, when it works. Installation and expansions have been my only dramas, otherwise the software has always been rock solid and far beyond the other drum samplers.

I hope what is being posted on the forum in other threads maintains momentum and means things might get cleaned up for BFD3 and then future BFD4 [although i’d argue just fix the installation issues and you’ve already sold BFD3 to a bunch more new users]. Even Battery seems a little neglected over in Kontakt world, but I do prefer the utility of BFD3 so I am not switching yet.

Just as long as they can let me get at all these awesome expansions. Had a look at Ocean Way but not going to buy it until my existing expansions get working.

I don’t know what happened over at SonicReality [I have also put in a ticket at esoundz for some new installers] but wow, the sounds, and by all impressions from a huge undertaking that shows a lot of love and care. I am sure if they resolve the installation issues people will be all over it - these samples, and BFD3, still have a lot of value.

Still feels like they could do with hiring another member of staff so its not all just @BFD_Drew doing the work and if he’s busy there isnt anyone else to take charge of these issues.

I found a surprisingly simple solution for installing and authorizing the old Sonic Reality expansions:

(1) On the “Your registered products”-page of your FXpansion account, there’s a field where you can register a product. Paste the serial number of your Sonic Reality expansion(s) there. FXpansion recognizes and accepts them. I registered three, and they were all accepted.

(2) Next, on the same page, click “migrate BFD products to InMusic profile”. This brings you to a page where you’re informed you will be sent a mail to start the migration process. Click ‘Send mail’.

(3) You’ll receive a mail with a link that leads you back to FXPansion where you initiate the actual migration. Click OK. If all goes well, as it did in my case, you’ll be informed when the migration is done (which happens very fast).

(4) Open the BFD License Manager (not the FXPansion License Manager) and you should see that the license(s) of your Sonic Reality expansions have been added to the list. Proceed as usual with downloading and installing the expansions.

Note that, doing it this way, the problem of the failing SonicReality/eSoundz installers is also circumvented, because you can download and install those old expansions via the BFD License Manager.

_

Continuing the discussion from Sonic Reality expansions won't authorize:

Basrikke,

It’s funny that you mentioned this. I have wanted Sonic Reality Neil Peart, Hugh Padgham, Vinny Appice sounds for a while now. I have been hesitant about buying these packs due to all the problems with InMusic that I have been reading about. I currently own a lot of packs and I haven’t had as much problem with BFD that most people are having. I sent a Support Ticket to InMusic and they responded within 24 hours with the following response.

Registrations of expansions are handled through the BFD License Manager. When the migration occurred all products were given new serials and your previously owned products from FXpansion showed up in the ‘My Registered Product s’ section of your inMusic account at www.BFDDrums.com. That is because they were already registered. Only registered products will show up there. So how do you register your new expansion then? Two things could be occurring here; 1.) you are trying to enter the serial into your inMusic account at www.bfddrums.com, or 2.) you are using an old FXpansion License Manager. If the answer is #1 then please enter the serial into your BFD License Manager by opening the License Manager and choosing Products> Enter New Product Serial. If the issue is #2 then please sign into your account at www.bfddrums.com and go to your registered products then choose BFD 3 and click see Details, Downloads and Offers then choose BFD Download>Download now. This will download the current BFD License Manager which you will proceed to download and install and then follow the directions from scenario #1 choose Products>enter product serial.

Hopefully this may answer some questions.

Rzrocks, thanks for that, but all my issues were solved yesterday, prior to me posting the procedure I followed. Doing it the way I described in my previous post, I effectively authorized, downloaded and installed the three Sonic Reality libraries which I purchased from eSoundz last week. All three of them work perfectly now in BFD3.

_

1 Like

Hey all - to clarify, the installers for the SR packs are now available directly through the License Manager. You must have a registered SR serial to download the product. You can migrate your FXpansion serials across in the regular way; this is detailed out in the Migration guide at www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

If you’ve just purchased an SR product, you can register the serial inside of BFD License Manager the same way it is done for all BFD products - using the menu>Products>Register Serial option.

1 Like