Oblivion or Crush, hmmm?

Funds only permit the purchase of one of these expansions. If you had to choose between Oblivion and Crush, which would you pick, and why?

I’ve listened to the example audio and both sound good but would value some ‘expert’ opinion from those with hands on experience.

1 Like

Hi operandx.

I got Oblivion with the migration.

Personal choice - I highly recommend it.

Was after it when it first came out but didn’t have the funds.

Neil

1 Like

Both are great. Either way, you can’t go wrong.

Oblivion has a really great snare that stands out from the rest of snare samples you can usually hear : the Mapex Brass Snare. Incredible sound.

Crush is a bit younger and has more variety with its snares but they are more conventional, which can be your purpose, and they will always serve. Now, Crush has more cymbals + splash and china stacks, that Oblivion doesn’t have.

So I’d say, personally, Oblivion for the uniqueness of the Mapex Brass Snare, or Crush for the variety of cymbals and snares.
For the kick and toms… No major differences, they are shaped for the same purpose. Maybe Oblivion has more beef and roundness, with sustain and dark tones, Crush has more impact and brighter tones with short sustain.

Finally, Oblivion comes with processed and unprocessed samples. Crush have a bit of processing done to it.

I hope it helped you !

Which kind of music do you intend to write ?

4 Likes

@Murt and @FromAutumn - thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated and food for thought. I’ve already got Horsepower, Jazz Noir and Modern Retro and want something different to complement those. A taut rock/metal sounding kit. I don’t write metal as such but sometimes songs which need that sound.

1 Like

Then I’d say Crush.

It’s just my personal opinion but to me the only thing that makes Oblivion worth is the Mapex Brass Snare (I got it just for that), otherwise, all the rest can be done with Crush.
And since Crush has more snares and greatly sampled cymbals (better than Oblivion), it will allow you to do more, even with non metal songs.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear people are digging the Mapex Brass!! That was owned by the old drummer in my band and we borrowed his setup for the Oblivion pack. It took heads off!!

So I’m obviously partisan… but my opinion:

Oblivion = Deftones, Tool, Chevelle… hard-rock metal stuff.
Crush = Tesseract, Periphery, Animals As Leaders… bit more proggy, bit more - dare I say it - djenty.

Those were our references when making those packs anyway.

5 Likes

Just got the Crush expansion.

Between that and Oblivion - no one should be disappointed by either. Both fantastic.

Neil

2 Likes

So funny and cool to hear that about the Mapex Brass snare ! You can tell your old drummer that his snare is now listened by millions … I discovered it through this popular japanese rock composer (*luna) and instantly fell in love with the snare’s sound, very unique… That’s also what made me buy BFD3.

If remember well, he also uses the kick drum and cymbals from Oblivion.

1 Like

I was listening to a demo of Oblivion the other day and, for the first time, I thought it sounded real, like I couldn’t tell it was programmed drums. I chose it with the migration, but unfortunately can’t use it yet. I am excited.

2 Likes

Thanks again guys for the comments here. After much deliberation I went with Oblivion. Safe to say I’m very satisfied. @FromAutumn you were not wrong about that Mapex Brass snare. Now that is a snare with serious attitude!

2 Likes

Glad to hear that ! Enjoy !

I’m loving Oblivion, it’s like I’ve finally found “my” drum sound. It’s transforming my mixes. Really cool. If there’s any other expansions that sound as good, please let me know.

2 Likes

Despite all the teething problems at present There are no bad BFD expansion packs.

My personal view.

Neil

1 Like

@TomLaRosa, I’m with @Murt, all the expansions that I have are excellent. I do stuff in a multitude of genres and my recently acquired Oblivion is great for the rockier side of things. But I get a lot of use out of Horsepower for bluesy, indie more organic feel. It’s really about what genres you are into. I also like Modern Retro because its flexible and adaptable to many genres. As with all things audio, it’s about personal taste innit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes