Is a VST3 plugin version for BFD3 available

I see Steinberg is about to drop VST2 support.
Given BFD3 is VST2 plugin is there a VST3 version?

Cheers
David

2 Likes

Steinberg is dropping support for VST2 in cubase 12 for Mac only…as they are refusing to make it M1 native.

still a valid question of course !

Yes but at this stage of change, users like myself will still be using intel macs for a few years to come. I bought one of the last batch of intel macs allowing me to run windows or OS X on the hardware. Eventually when those die out Steinberg will have native M1 code.
But as you point out that’s a side observation. VST3 has already been around for years and some software developers have not put the resources in to make that change in anticipation of VST 2 becoming obsolete. Clearly the lack of vst3 for BFD3 will give Inmusic a bigger hit regards commercial loss of sales and the confidence hit it may give to existing users who trusted them to maintain the software in line with current trends for audio software.
So here’s hoping a vst3 version is on the horizon, I wouldn’t have thought that’s a major change to change code to from VST2.

Cheers
David

1 Like

personally i think Steinberg are using M1 as an excuse for dropping VST2 - there is no decent technical reason why they can’t make it work. It’s a commercial decision.

1 Like

VST3 is a vastly different beast, and depending on how BFD is wrapped (e.g., JUCE), it may be a considerable effort to create a VST3 version. Likewise, it would be a considerable effort at Steinberg to port VST2 to M1 (and the new licensing system). The M1 native version of BFD may likewise require significant development resources, as it was (originally) written long before all the handy, portable wrappers that exist today.

1 Like

The VST2 of the 3.4.5.10 beta has been running surprising well on my Cubase 12 / M1 Pro setup

If you can’t get it to authorize with the License Manager, here’s how I did it, solution at the end:

I’m not sure what I’m reading here. This is the cutoff for Steinberg and VST2. I just looked and noticed that BFDdrums hasn’t given me the VST3 for my product and I just purchased a new expansion thinking I would be able to continue using it in Cubase. Is there no plan to port to VST3? Help me out here please.

1 Like

lol at a VST3 version of this $350+ flagship drum sampler still being outstanding as we go into 2025

1 Like